- Godly Men Cling to their Own Wives: Genesis 2:23 "And Adam said: 'This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of man.'" Verse 24 concludes with, "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh."
- Godly Men Rejoice in their Own Wives: Proverbs 5:18 "Let your fountain be blessed, and rejoice with the wife of your youth."
- Godly Men Love their Own Wives: Ephesians 5:25, 28-29 "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her. So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church."
- Godly Men Give Honor and Respect to their Own Wives: 1 Peter 3:7 "Husbands, likewise, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers may not be hindered."
- Godly Men Show Their Love for Their Children by Training Them, Disciplining Them and Guiding Them in God's Way: Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 13:24 "He who spares his rod hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines him promptly." Proverbs 19:18 "Chasten your son while there is hope, and do not set your heart on his destruction." Ephesians 6:4 "And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord."
- Godly Men Show Their Fitness for Church Leadership by Leading Their Wives and Children in a Godly Way: 1 Timothy 3:1-5 "This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop, he desires a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; not quarrelsome, not covetous; one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?)"
Some important truths that David shared with his congregation this past Sunday (Father's Day). Are you a Godly man? Are you a Godly father? Take some time to study your role as the head of your house.